KAPHA Dosha - Warm your Dosha this Fall
As a form of holistic science, Ayurveda is based on the belief that our holistic wellbeing is entirely dependent on the harmony of our life forces known as the “doshas”. Doshas control how our body works, and are responsible for every movement and function of our cells affecting our overall health - physically, mentally and spiritually.
There are three types of Dosha; namely Kapha, Vata and Pitta. Every one of us is unique and is characterized by our dominant doshic constitution that makes us almost completely different from one another.
Kapha is our grounding dosha. It is composed of earth and water elements, so a Kapha type has great stamina and regular digestion, a sound sleep is a form of healing for them.
With the Kapha type, the earth and water elements meet. In the body, Kapha is responsible for solidity and all structures as well as for the right amount of body fluids.
A Kapha type person has a strong body build and undeniably excellent stamina; usually have large, soft eyes; smooth, radiant skin and mostly have thick hair - these are common Kapha attributes of a person.
QUALITIES OF A KAPHA PERSON:
- Compassionate, naturally caring and shows empathy
- Easily trusts others
- Patient, composed and calm
- Wise and mature
- Strong bones and joints
When nourished, Kapha balances the body and mind even when faced with changes. It gives energy, control and fertility. It nurtures love, determination, compassion and other highly appreciated emotions.
In the body, Kapha controls our stability and structure, proper development of the body, lubricating the joints, keeping our immune system healthy, and our energy levels are governed by Kapha.
Someone with a Kapha imbalance, would feel easily depressed, stuck, unable to change. They can easily suffer from weight gain, fluid retention, and have excess liquid in the body that comes out as mucus, a wet cough, runny nose, or chest congestion.
COMMON KAPHA IMBALANCE:
- Metabolism is slow, which makes them sluggish
- They can end up gaining weight fast
- The tendency to oversleep
- The slowness makes them sluggish
- Prone to respiratory problems
- Heart disease is a risk they face
- Needs motivation else can get depressed
- Focus on starting the day early before or at 6 AM. Choosing a consistent time to wake up is vital for a Kapha person as the environment can be pretty dense with Kapha-provoking nature from 6-10 in the morning.
- Practice morning hygiene first thing in the morning after getting up. Tongue cleaning can be nourishing to incorporate in your morning self care routine when you brush your teeth to prevent bacteria from building up. Get your Ayurvedic Copper Tongue Cleaner here!
- Nasya is also a helpful morning hygienic practice advised by Ayurveda practitioners, as Kapha imbalance causes nasal congestion.
- Drink warm water.
- Incorporate your Ayurvedic morning exercise: Pranayama, Yoga, Meditation, and Abhyanga. We advise a Kansa Abhyanga in the morning; either facial or body only, or time allows you to do both. It’s a great way to stimulate your blood circulation to start up the day.
- Avoid indulging in heavy meals. You should eat light especially for breakfast, and eat healthy light snacks frequently as long as it doesn’t load too heavily on your digestive tract which may cause excess Kapha.
Introducing our new line of Ayurvedic oils! Your Dosha’s new best friend - the ultimate Chakra booster!
Our Warming Body and Massage Oil combines Turmeric, Ginger Lily, Cedarwood, and Cinnamon in a base of Organic Sesame oil to stimulate and bring the heat to the body. Relieves congestion and stagnation and facilitates lymph flow by promoting healthy energy balance within. Relieves tightness in muscles. Perfect for those with Kapha imbalance, who are concerned with revitalizing, de-puffing, and energizing. Excellent for use as an all-over moisturizer for your daily massage ritual. Herbs are extracted using innovative supercritical technology.
Wanna know if you’re a KAPHA?
Take the Dosha quiz now and get the right oil made just for your holistic needs!